1 12-ounce round crusty bread, sliced in half horizontally
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons capers
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, loosely packed
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 anchovies or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 medium orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2/3 cup black olives, pitted and quartered
6 hard-cooked eggs, sliced in half lengthwise
- Hollow out the bread by removing most of the inside crumb. Reserve 1/2 cup of the crumb for the filling.
- Place the olive oil, capers,parsley, garlic, pepper, and anchovies (or salt) in a food processor. Process until the garlic is finely chopped, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the bell pepper,tomatoes, onion, olives, and the reserved bread filling. Toss to combine.
- Layer half the mixture in the bottom half of the hollowed-out bread. Top with the hard-cooked eggs and the remaining mixture.
- Replace the top of the loaf.
- Wrap the filled loaf with plastic wrap. Weigh it down with a heavy object, such as a cast-iron skillet filled with cans.
- Place it in the refrigerator. Let sit at least 10 hours or overnight. Before serving.
- Cut the loaf into 6 wedges with a sharp bread knife.