We love hard-boiled eggs and we also like salad, and err we love bacon too. This is a somewhat hearty salad. We figured splurging on this not so light salad was a good alternative for the cheese burger and fries. After all it has spinach, and I know Popeye approves!
1 ½ pounds Yukon Gold, red-skinned or creamer Potatoes
6 slices Bacon plus 2 tablespoons of bacon fat for dressing
4 cups rinsed Spinach Leaves, rinsed and trimmed
6 large hard boiled eggs, peeled with the Negg® Egg Peeler, quartered with skin on, warm or at room temperature
½ of a red onion, cut lengthwise into slivers
½ cup plus two tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1/3 cup plus Cider Vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan, add water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a skewer, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool until they can be handled.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about eight minutes; drain on paper towels. Cut the bacon into one-half inch wide pieces and place in a large serving bowl. Reserve two tablespoons of the bacon fat; discard the rest. Set the skillet with the reserved bacon fat aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into one-half inch pieces. Add the potatoes, spinach, eggs and onion to the serving bowl.
- Add the oil, vinegar, mustard and one teaspoon of salt to the skillet with the reserved bacon fat and cook over low heat, whisking, until very hot.
- Pour the hot dressing over the salad and gently toss to blend. Taste and add more salt, if necessary, along with a generous grinding of black pepper. Serve hot or warm.
Hard-boiled eggs even makes spinach taste good. Enjoy!
Inspired by The Good Egg