2 tablespoons ground coriander2 tablespoons ground cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (hot or mild Indian style)
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 ounces water (or more as needed)
1⁄4 cup canola oil
1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
6 -8 garlic cloves, chopped
3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 6 small)
1 cup unseasoned tomato sauce (8 ounce can)
1 pinch sugar, to taste
1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
1⁄8 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
6 cups steamed white rice
- Mix the first 4 spices along with vinegar and water to make a thin paste; set aside.
- Heat a large saucepot over a medium heat and add oil.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Add spice mixture to the pot and stir well.
- (Add more water in small amounts if mixture begins to stick.) Add chopped tomatoes to onion mixture.
- Pour tomato sauce into a 2-cup measuring cup and add enough water to make 2 cups liquid.
- Add to the pot and simmer 20 for minutes.
- Add pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise and slide them into the sauce.
- Serve over rice, sprinkled with fresh chopped cilantro