I like using leftovers with this salad. It's a bit of a spin on a Caesar Salad. I have a confession. When I started to make this, I did not know what pepperoncini was and was forced to turn to Mr. Google for an explanation. You would think that I would have had a guess since the first six letters spell pepper, but no I looked it up. You all probably know already but pepperoncini are peppers.The name pepperoncini is the generic Italian name for "Hot Chili". I found it wasn't that hot, and added just the right zip, but if you wish to reduce the heat, remove the seeds.
I happen to love Kale, but if you are not a fan, simply substitute Romaine Lettuce. The dressing is good for much more than this salad. If you are averse to using a raw egg yolk, simply leave it out. You could also put some leftover chicken, beef or salmon in the mix. The dressing stands up to anything that will combine nicely with lemony/garlicy flavor. That means just about anything but ice cream in my book. Have to draw the line somewhere.
4 Halved large Eggs, hard-boiled and peeled using the Negg® egg peeler
For the Dressing:
- Combine lemon juice and minced garlic in a bowl and let sit for five minutes.
- Add egg yolk, anchovy and Worcestershire sauce, stir to combine.
- Slowly add olive oil, constantly whisking to create an emulsion.
- Once combined, add in Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Shave hard-boiled eggs with a grater.
For the Salad:
- Toss kale, shaved egg, pepperoncini, bacon and cheese with ¼ cup dressing.
- Place avocados in last and gently toss.
*CONSUMING RAW OR UNDERCOOKED MEATS, POULTRY, SEAFOOD, SHELLFISH OR EGGS MAY INCREASE YOUR RISK OF FOODBORNE ILLNESS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE CERTAIN MEDICAL CONDITIONS.
According to the FDA Food Code, eggs for immediate consumption can be cooked to 145°F for 15 seconds. The other solution is to use pasteurized shell eggs or pasteurized egg products.