Spinach Gratin with Hard Boiled Eggs RecipePrint
If you want, you can also sauté some chopped onion, and/or a persillade of minced garlic and parsley to mix in with the cooked spinach and béchamel. Either way. Without these aromatics, a cleaner flavor of the spinach comes through.
- 3 pounds of fresh spinach, cleaned (or 24 ounces of frozen spinach, thawed and drained)
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, or 3/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg if you aren't starting with a whole nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 6 hard boiled eggs*
- 3 to 4 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs**
- Olive oil
* Hard boil eggs,.
**To make your own bread crumbs, take a few slices of day old bread and toast either in a toaster or in the oven until browned, then pulse in a food processor or blender until you have crumbs. Stir in a little herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning and a little salt to taste.